What is an Apprenticeship?
An apprenticeship provides you with the opportunity to have a job with training. Through an apprenticeship, you will gain technical knowledge, practical experience and wider skills and behaviours in a specific job role. This work through a combination of formal off -the-job training and the opportunity to apply these skills in a working environment.
How Do They Work?
Anyone over the age of 16, who spends at least 50% of their working hours in England over the duration and not in full time education can apply for an apprenticeship. Traditionally it’s assumed apprenticeships are only for young people, however they now have no age restrictions. If you’re of working age, you can apply to become an apprentice.
An apprentice work both with their employer and a training provider and must spend at least 20% of their time on off the job training, this may include regular day release, block release, special training days or workshops, receiving mentoring or shadowing at work. It is up to the employer and training provider to decide how the off-the-job training is delivered.
By carrying out an apprenticeship, you are able to gain up to a master degree level See table below.
|Name||Level||Equivalent educational level|
|Intermediate||2||5 GCSE passes|
|Advanced||3||2 A level passes|
|Higher||4, 5, 6 and 7||Foundation degree and above|
|Degree||6 and 7||Bachelor’s or master’s degree|
Benefits of doing an Apprenticeship
Apprenticeships are structured training programmes which give you a chance to work, towards a qualification.
- They can help you gain the skills and knowledge you need to succeed in your chosen industry.
- You will receive hands on training giving you a chance to put your skills into practise and helps you to gain more confidence in a working environment.
- Over 400 different types of apprenticeships. There is something for everyone.
- Earn while you learn… No student loans, no tuition fees. Tuition cost cover by your employer or the government
- Boost your CV
- Receive qualifications recognised by chartered bodies and institution
- Get bespoke and one to one support
So if your looking to up-skill and gain a recognise qualification in your desired sector whilst earning. An apprenticeship is the perfect solution.